Our geotechnical services team provides site investigation solutions that combine experienced geotechnical consultancy skills with state of the art contracting services and plant.
With over 10 years’ experience we have developed high quality ground investigation, geophysical and topographic surveys across more than 100 renewable, grid, infrastructure and water related projects.
We deliver solutions within wider construction management teams, integrated with planning, design and constructions processes, ensuring that work is carried out efficiently and to the highest levels of health and safety.
Our experienced team of 16 geotechnical engineers and geophysicists are supported by a professional drilling team well versed in a wide selection of methods.
2.5GW of wind farm site investigation safely completed
We regularly complete site investigation in challenging and complex geologies for successful infrastructure design. Challenges include peat, chalk, artesian water, deep fluvial deposits, unexploded ordinance (UXO), mining, upland terrain, remote access, forestry, slope stability etc.
Our services include:
- Planning phase EIA surveys
- Pre-construction activities
- Information review, gap analysis and due diligence
- Logistical planning and access solutions feeding into client schedule
- High quality intrusive works
- Supervision, recording and interpretation of geotechnical information
- Sample handling, preparation and test management
- Factual and interpretative reporting
- Geotechnical risk register and trouble-shooting
- Detailed geotechnical design for foundations, roads and slopes
- Construction stage monitoring and testing
Topographical survey and terrain analysis
- Topographic survey delivered in tandem with site investigation to complement site investigation and design works
- Tailored methodology – using traditional land survey for hard features, buildings etc using Trimble RTK 10 DGPS and Total Station whilst large land areas are more economically surveyed using UAV “drone” methods for complex terrain mapping over wide areas
Grid & infrastructure
- OHPL investigations on transmission lines
- Investigations to inform construction phase ground conditions problem solving
- Investigate distribution network connections on wind farms
- Near shore and intertidal zone works for the landfall of sub-sea cables and pipelines
Offshore & nearshore
- Overwater geotechnical and geophysical works for renewable energy projects, ports, harbors and coastal defenses
- Working closely with designers to obtain GI information during FEED studies and detailed design
- Certified and experienced company rep on vessels undertaking geophysical surveys and drilling / sampling operations
- Overwater drilling in coastal waters up to 35m water depth
- Intertidal zone ground investigation and survey
- Due diligence and technical advisor roles
- Terrain mapping and topographic survey
- Peat mapping and stability risk assessment
- Remote access ground investigation
- Input to detailed civil and structural design
- Construction phase formation checks and problems solving
- Our fleet of modern plant includes powerful but lightweight agile rigs that are suited to steep gradients, soft ground and environmentally sensitive locations.
- Hagglunds are versatile and have a proven record on steep or soft terrain, providing adequate load capacity without limiting capability.
- All our operators are trained to our specific tailor made LANTRA level.
- Fraste PLs are modern light weight rigs with impressive power to weight that have been recently upgraded to the SL with improved driller ergonomics on steep ground.
- The Fraste XL Crawler mounted wireline rig is suited to deep coring in overburden and rock whilst minimising soft ground damage. Successful at 120m with Geobor S in marine sediments and glacial till, capable of 500m @ HQ